Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Irene Mary

In March, the local arts council is having a show called “Small Expressions”. I joined the council to see how I could expand the reach for my art dolls.  I think this will be a good fit.

The show in March is from the 4th to the 31st. We can enter 3 pieces, so am busy now working on those. They have to be a specific size, 12” x 12” x 12” or less, hence the name of the exhibit.

The first doll I’m making is Irene Mary, a new one by Jill Maas. Currently I have the body made and put together and her head. The house was cold this morning, so I wrapped her in some knit fabric that I haven’t decided whether I’ll use it or not, but I think it’s going to be used for a Santa sweater. That’s where I’m leaning at this point. I think the black polka dot minky will be what Irene Mary’s jacket will be made of.

I just like putting a pile of suggestions around my dolls and go from there. It’s never how you finish because things always change along the way, so my choices do look odd I know. Anyway, here are Irene Mary’s first steps.. All being well, I should have her done in the next couple of days. ;o)


Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Odds and Ends

Just a few more bits and pieces of things I did in December. Adele over at A for Artistic had two great artists offer up free ornament classes. One is this Angel Snow Boy by Deb Wood, here’s my version.


The other artist is Elena Loukianova. She offered this class for making a Christmas Bird. I chose a Cardinal shape. While these are simple projects compared to a doll, you can still learn something from each person who designs. There is always some little tip or technique you can use another time. Here is my bird.


A couple of phone cozies ended up being needed. After cancelling our mobile carrier and switching to the new one, the free phones we got are bigger than the last ones. I made these two cozies in black felt and lined. Hubby wanted basic black ;o~, I went with the same but with a bit of embellishing.

Both have a magnetic closure and no it doesn’t affect the phone at all. I went online to check that and the information was pretty much all the same, that they were safe to use. I’m guessing it would take a much bigger magnet to cause a problem.

I’m showing the linings I used as well. Masculine for him, my embellishments co-ordinate with the lining. The back of mine has the same pocket as other cozies I made. Perfect for a few business cards, ear buds or my card reader. More tomorrow….stay tuned. ;o)


Sunday, January 8, 2017

Table Runners

When I first saw the fabric that I used for the Winter Angel, I couldn’t get enough of it. I saw that Diane from the fabric department had made up a pattern and kit using it. So what’s a girl to do. I had to make two runners. They are really long too, so they make a pretty table display.

I don’t dare show the seams up very close, there are some spots that are a little on the ooops side. I did my best and I did pretty well, but I’m not a quilter. ;o~

Just love this fabric, the snowmen are so perfectly drawn and made into fabric. There are some pretty amazing designers out there that keep creating such beautiful fabrics for us whether we are quilters or doll makers or any other creative things.


Winter Angel

I had a list of things I wanted to finish before midnight on New Years Eve. I set aside December to try and catch up on and at least make a dent in things. I finished all but one project, so not bad.

This angel is from a Tilda book, “Sew Pretty Christmas Homestyle”. All of Tilda’s books are amazing, there isn’t one of the collection that has disappointed me yet. This is one of my favourites. I made a couple of other Angels from this book a few years ago. Both Christmas themes. Click here. These older books are really down in price, so that’s pretty tempting. ;o))


My Winter Angel is not necessarily for Christmas. The fabric is a wintery theme, but not really Christmas. I hope you like her. She’s hanging on the wall of the staircase so everyone has to see her when they come to visit. If you ever make her be forewarned, she has THE biggest wings ever. ;o~ If I make her again, I may just line them with batting, rather that stuff them.


Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Blog is Open

I hope you all had great Christmas and New Year celebrations and stayed safe, out of harms way. Whatever you did to celebrate the season, did it all come together the way you planned??? I try not to plan anything anymore as most of the time, things change and that just frustrates me. I’m better off keeping my expectations low, it’s always works out that way. ;o)

I’ve opened up my New Blog now. It’s not completed, but it’s the first day of New Year and thought it would be a good time to share this with you. As I continue to bring things over from my web space, I’ll be adding to the pages you’ll find by clicking on the tabs on the new blog.

Whatever free little doll tutorials I have, are now on the new blog. The other mixed media type are still on this one, along with the stitching tutorials. I hope to add more but for now, I’m working on clearing up the web space and finishing the blogs.

So for now, if you have time to check out the new blog, please do. You’ll find the link in the left column, a little bird icon to click on.

If you find anything not working on either one, please let me know. I woke up this morning, to half of my images and links gone from my blog. Gremlins….perhaps. I did notice on another blog the same thing was going on there, so maybe some naughty people with not much else to do, have been making the rounds. Seems like a silly waste of time to me, but there you have it….

Take care and all the best for the year ahead. May it be filled with tons and tons of exciting new experiences and things to learn and create…

Related image


Related Posts with Thumbnails