Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Rope Mats

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Rope Mats

Today I have for you, table mats that I made using 100% clothes line cord. I guess it's a repurposed kind of thing because I'm using clothes line cord in another way. I think it might qualify as a mixed media project since it's made with the cord and fabric strips... I made them to sit under my sewing machine, serger and other toys in my sewing room. They are easier to move around when sitting on the mats.

There are different types of cord, make sure you look for 100% cotton. I also saw two sizes, 1/4" and 3/8" and I've seen it in two different lengths, 50' and 100'. I chose the 100' length to give me more options. There is a slight difference in the finished mats depending on the thickness of the cord. 

The basic technique is just to cut cotton fabric strips the width you want and the solids or prints you like, then wrap as you sew or wrap all at once, I done both ways. I can't give you measurements for that, you'll just have to go by what it is you want. 

The large round ones I did, were on the 1/4" cord and the finished circle was approx. 19" across and that took the whole 100'. The more oval/rectangle shapes were done on the same size cord and to the dimensions I wanted. I think I used half the 100' feet for those. 

You can make all kinds of useful things with these materials. There is a ton of inspiration on YouTube for the technique, and on Pinterest for ideas of what to make. I have a board on Pinterest if you want some suggestions. Here are my mats... Enjoy ;o)






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog Ramona. Love your felt box and the rope mats. I tried the rope mat once and boy oh boy it was so hard on my hands.

    ReplyDelete