Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Feathered Friends 2020

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Feathered Friends 2020

Here are the last projects for 2020. You don’t think you’re doing much until you start posting them.  I just kept making things, saving the pictures on the computer and didn’t even notice how much was there…. ;o)

These are some mixed media pieces. I’m planning more, but am currently working on a clay figure from a Karen Baker class. But on to the birds.

This first one is Owl Capone. He is adapted from a pattern by Ann Wood. He is made with a variety of cotton, wool, and velvet. His beak is leather. I had a hat the perfect size and just embellished it to match the rest of his body. I love love love the clown shoes I made for him, and I gave him cuffs on the lower legs.

The wings are made with layers of different cotton and wool fabrics.   The eyes are big buttons. He stands approx. 16” tall.

01Capone  04Capone  03Capone

08Capone

This owl is Blink. She is approx. 12” tall. Her body is made with the same fabrics as Owl Capone, and embellished in much the same way. I made a purple hat for her, and gave her purple boots. I did a polymer clay challenge last year and the boots on Blink, are from the pieces I made in that year long challenge.

02Blink

08Blink

04Blink

This next bird is Bitsy. She is so darn cute. Standing only 6” tall, barely, she lights up the room with her bright yellow plumes. She is my own creation based on the Goldfinches we get in our garden.

Her body is layered, starting with cotton, then overlayed with wool fabric, yellow feathers, black yellow tail feathers. Her hat is made with felt. I sculpted her head and boots with clay. She is my second favourite bird to date. The one after this is my favourite.

01B

05B

06B

08B

The last bird for now, is Ms. Downey. She is another of my own designs and is again based on a local bird, our Downey Woodpeckers.

I’ve really been enjoying using wool fabrics for my birds. I love the textures and the gorgeous patterns in the fabric. I also love the flexibility of being able to manipulate the fabric. Her underbody is overlayed with Minky fabric. So here we go.

Her beak and feet are clay. I made her hat and gave her red roses to embellish to make that bold statement to go with her black and white body. She has button eyes. The feet are from those polymer clay challenge projects from last year. I did a lot of pre planning when I was making those clay pieces.  She stands approx. 9” tall. ;o)

DSC03922

DSC03924

DSC03916

DSC03915

DSC03926

2 comments: