Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Linda Goes to the Opera

Monday, May 6, 2019

Linda Goes to the Opera

My first doll that is going to the Artisans show in the fall is ready. I'm exerting my bragging rights, because I worked reallly hard on this doll to make it the best I could in rememberance. She is Linda and I created her in memory of Linda Hollerich. She asked to mentor me some time ago, and so I wanted to do this in return.

This is from one of my favourite classes with Linda, called "Claire's Joy". The difference in one way is that I used polymer clay for the head, hands and feet. I've used paper clay in the past, but I lean more to the polymer clay these days. The way she is dressed is Linda's costuming, but the embellishments and other touches are my own. 

Starting from the top and working down, I've made a hat for Linda bedazzled just a little with charms, feathers, a button and a veil. Dangling from her ears are earrings made from parts of left over from the trim around her vest. I found  this wonderful mini manual hand drill to make the holes in her ears. I didn't know for sure if I would give her earrings when I started, so this little drill was the perfect thing to use. I have used some black fur trim in several places, starting at the neck.





Continuing down I've used a type of Venice Lace for the vest, and doing a quick read on laces, it seems to suit the description of Chantilly lace. I've lined with a soft red satin and trimmed with the same beaded chain used in her earrings, her necklace is a strand of red and diamond faux gems in a faux gold finish. The sleeves are a sheer poly fabric, with the wrists wrapped with the black fur. The bodice is a red/black floral print cotton. Her fingernails are painted with a pink pearl nail polish.




At the back of her head, I've twisted and curled mohair locks and stitched them in place, leaving a couple of curls dangling. To finish, I added some red beads here and there around the bun. They don't show well here sadly.







The final part of the doll are the pants, her bag, shoes and base. The pants are made from a sheer black poly fabric. So much fun creating those and really makes for a wow moment when you're done. Although you can't see it, I have wrapped her waist with the same black fur. 

Her bag is made from the lace, lined with the red satin. There is a drawstring of silk ribbon. I found some miniature binoculars and have tucked them inside the bag. The front of the bag is embellished with a button and I've added some strands of beads below. 

The shoes are just a wild blend of red and black clay. and cut to a slightly different shape from the ones in the class. Embellished on the sides with square brads in three different shades of red gems, framed in silver. The base itself is hardwood used on our floors and trimmed around with a heavy gold coloured gimp, a black metal trim and black felt on the underside.



And here she is full size. I hope you like Linda and if live locally be sure to come to Artisans in November, she will be there to greet you. Thank you for stopping by.









1 comment:

  1. She is fabulous!!!!! Linda would be proud of her student:)

    ReplyDelete