Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: A new year, a new quilt

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A new year, a new quilt

Last year we contacted the Tempurpedic people re: the mattress on our king size bed to let them know it was sagging and giving us major back aches. We did the usual and required photographs to show them that yes in fact, the mattress has failed. They agreed to send a new one, no problem and no charge.

To show how bad the other mattress was, I was able to fold it in half to get it out of the bedroom to have them bring the new one in. Pretty bad right... When the new one came I said to hubby that I felt the new one was thicker. The last one was about 4 1/2" (not including the box spring), this one is about 1 1/2" thicker. Sounds like a thin mattress, but these are supposed to last for years because of the type of foam....NOT!!!!!!! This mattress has been here barely a year and it's failing to. A complete waste of money to say nothing of back ache every morning.

Long story short, we're getting a Sleep Number bed in the next 2 weeks. High loft mattress and a further 4" or so of memory foam and another type of material for extra comfort, and it's a queen size. Forget king size, the novelty of that is over. So of course, what is required with a new bed....a new quilt. This is what I've been working on for this week. Tomorrow it goes to the Andrea at Fabric Traders, who has a quilting frame and is going to make this quilt top into a quilt for us. All I have to do to finish it, is do the binding on the edge.

The material is actually a christmas print, but when you see it in real life, it doesn't look like a christmas print. The colours do, but not the actual print. I was able to buy most of it for 60% off, so that made it even better. The solid (or what looks like solid gold colour) is actually a quilting flannel and has a leafy vine print throughout. The backing fabric is also a quilting flannel, it's the dark green and has the same leafy vine print in it. It isn't cheap, but it is so soft and feels so nice, I just had to use for the backing as well. I think Andrea will be proud of me. I managed to make most of the seams match up properly. I am not a quilter at all and matching seams is huge in quilting, so I think I did pretty good.

This is actually a bedspread size, so that will be even better. I will also be making toss cushions to go with it. Probably a neck roll and 4 toss pillows. Maybe a couple of pillow shams. Poor hubby, men always hate all the fru fru on the bed. lol....... I'll be back to show you how things are progressing soon.... and NO, still no computer. I never knew I had this much patience, I feel like I'm in computer rehab....

No comments:

Post a Comment