Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: The Fool

Friday, August 30, 2019

The Fool

There is a Fine Arts Gallery Show in Sidney in October. It’s just three days but it’s for artists from far and wide. We had to submit our forms and payment in July so I had to decide whether to try this or not. I haven’t entered a show like this before so it’s a big deal for me and I think it’s good to challenge yourself. 

On the 8th of September, we have to take our pieces to the center and leave them for three days to be juried. I’ve been told to not be disappointed if they aren’t accepted as the judges may or may not recognize art the same way we would. It’s all subjective and I know that. I choose to be cautiously optimistic, and it’s probably a better way to think than to allow any kind of negative thoughts to come in.

Here is my first piece, “The Fool”. He is inspired by Ciro Marchetti, a graphics artist who designs Tarot cards and more. He gave me permission years ago to create a doll from his inspirational art. I am including the image that inspired me in the first place.

gilded-00704

And here is my interpretation of Mr. Marchetti’s work. I will be in touch with him once I know one way or the other if I’m showing it.

fool01

The Fool stands 31” tall from the table to top of his head. The box I used is 8” square. It’s a nice solid pine box. The feet are from my small Tim Holtz stash. I knew somewhere along the way, they would come in hand.

The charms on the sides, are the same Zodiac symbols as shown in the original artwork. I used 6 of them on two sides and the remaining 6 on the sleeves of his costume.  

fool11fool10

The sides of the box are covered in a faux gold leather. I applied Mother of Pearl Shell Laminate, that comes from Australia. There is red in the center and a mustard/gold colour on the edges. I used a mini black/gold trim around the lid and sides of the box. To finish the embellishing, I’ve used gold matte lentil beads around the top edges of the lid.

fool09

On the front of the box, I used another Tim Holtz item to frame the name of the piece and attached on the front.

fool12

The hat, mask, vest, pants and boots are made with leather. The cuffs are a heavy ribbon, the neck ruffle is a light wired ribbon (wire removed). There are a variety or beaded trims, gems, velvet ribbon, wire and cloth roses, and metallic trims. The vest is lined with cotton.

The look is finished with the staff he’s holding. The legs each have brass tubes from the inside base of box, up into the top of the leg on the left side, and on the right side, the brass rod goes up to the chest.

fool02

fool03fool04fool05fool06fool07fool08fool16

Enjoy and thanks for stopping by.

fool14

1 comment: