Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Nigel the Golfer

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Nigel the Golfer

The name Nigel, apparently means… Nigel is a Gaelic baby name. In Gaelic the meaning of the name Nigel is: Champion From the Irish and Scottish Niall”

After you see him, you might be thinking he looks more like a Guido, but I named him Nigel when I started and he got used to it, no going back now.

So here he is. This is a new designer, Norma Inkster. You can find her patterns at DMJ on Etsy. I made some changes along the way if you compare it to Norma’s doll.

First the face, I like to add eyelids to many of my dolls and I used pencils to colour the face. The facial hair is less, but that’s what dolls will tell you as you work. A little more here, oh, not so much there, it’s how they roll. My guy has darker hair, maybe just starting his retirement a bit early.

nigel03sm

I gave him a dickey which he doesn’t have in the instructions, but it was either that or a bare neck, and somehow he just looked like that was what was needed for the look. I also gave him an arm band on the non gloved hand. I don’t like completely bare arms, so a band it is. The glove and band are made with a faux ultra suede fabric. Not even quite a faux suede actually, just feels that way.

His clothing otherwise is all cotton prints and baby pin corduroy. (Thanks Diane for having that in stock!)

Nigel07sm

His shoes are made with leather scraps, tied with pearl cotton embroidery cotton. The instructions were for paper clay shoes and painted like saddle shoes, I just like making shoes, so that’s why I made these.

nigel06sm

The base of the golf club, is quickly formed with paper clay, left to dry and painted with metallic silver and black at the top.

nigel05sm

And finally, like 99% of the bases I make, the underside is covered with felt. I didn’t cover the sides on this one. The grass effect is made using moss that I gathered around my yard (we get so much rain), it’s dried and then I put tons of glue (much like Fabri-tac) and pressed the moss really well into the glue. it’s solid, with only a bit of the dirt dust to shake off after it was dry.

I’m taking Nigel to the gallery at Tulista Park with me on Friday, so if you see this and you’re in the area, stop by and say hi to him. He’s a very outgoing kind of guy. There is one more picture below this.

I have also been working on other projects, just need to take some pictures etc. will post them in the next day or two. Enjoy…;o)

nigel01smnigel02sm

2 comments:

  1. Nigel is wonderful!! It is always fascinating to see what personality will emerge when a doll is done. I was going to give Mulligan a dickey but I guess he didn't want one. Well done , Ramona!!

    ReplyDelete