Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Sir Toby Belch–part 2

Friday, April 8, 2016

Sir Toby Belch–part 2

I’m having so much fun working on this doll. Like I’ve said so many times, I’m not a speedy person with my dolls because I just enjoy the process of creating so much. Why do I want to rush that and have it over so soon. ;o)

Sir Toby is pretty much dressed. He still needs his jacket and hat and of course I need to give him a head and hands along with final touches. Why doesn’t he have a head or hands yet you ask??? You’re asking that question, right???? 

There are a number of reasons for his lack of those two vital parts. The first one is because I’ve been flipping him this way and that way, pretty much standing him on his neck, laying on his side, so,  just not conducive to treating a head and hands well.

Another reason is because until the costume is finished and he’s dressed, I need to see how big he actually is. I’m sculpting the heads and hands out of polymer clay and with his body and costume done I get a better perspective for the proper proportions of those parts.

The last reason is simply that it’s much easier to dress him without his head and hands in place.

Here are pictures of how he’s dressed for now. The shirt will hardly even be seen once the jacket is done, but I know it’s there and I feel the clothing is complete. It’s probably extra work for something you don’t see, but it’s how I am. If I don’t do it, it will bother me forever that it’s not finished properly.

The costume is in the Elizabethan theme. The men wore these funky little pants that men would never be caught wearing in this day and age..;o)

sirtoby03sm

The pants are made with two colours of faux suede found in an upholstery depart. The same pattern is on both colours, but hard to see here. There is a band of brown velvet ribbon stitched to the waist to cover raw edges and complete the look.

sirtoby05sm

His boots are soft leather and made slouchy, much like the picture in the last post.

sirtoby04sm

The fabric for the shirt is a silk velvet. I originally found it at Joggles. I think you can see them, but I used eeny weeny buttons on the front, and while you can’t see the cuffs on the sleeves, there are buttons on there as well. And that’s it. More to follow soon. ;o)

sirtoby06sm

No comments:

Post a Comment