Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: All Good Things Must End

Thursday, August 27, 2015

All Good Things Must End

Saturday the 29th, is my last morning at the museum, and on Sunday afternoon I’ll be taking down my display. From there the remaining Jesters will go to the Tea Shop.

It’s been a great experience for me. I’ve met a lot of very nice people and answered lots of questions. Picked up a commission, sold Jesters, am helping out a with a project, in the fall, for a Brownie Troupe, helped others with projects they are working on, people brought in dolls to show me and the list goes on.

I even had a call from a gentleman who saw the article in the local paper and offered to give me a china doll bust that he found amongst his wife’s things. I went to meet him and this is what he gave me. The bust measures approx. 3 1/2” – 4“ tall.

iris01sm

I had Ginni research it for me, and she provided me with pictures of what the doll of that era would have been dressed in. The china doll bust herself is an Armand Marseille, dating back to approx. 1900-1920. The clothing would be estimated to be for a young girl of 6-8 years old from 1900-1910. I made a promise to myself to make a complete doll and dressed to what Ginni has researched for me. The gentleman doesn’t want this back, but I would like to make this, name her Iris after his wife, and at the very least, take the doll to show him that I did make good use of his gift. ;o)

This is an example of how she might be dressed, a 15" Armand Marseille doll from 1894.

clip_image002

It’s kind of bitter sweet to have this exhibit coming to an end. While I’ve enjoyed being there and meeting so many nice people coming through, helping the kids to get involved in the scavenger hunt, and designing a doll, getting to know those dedicated people who keep the museum humming along, I’m also ready to get down to business and get the Christmas orders and other dolls done.

Before this is over, I have a few more pictures to show you. These dolls were changed out every couple of weeks, in the case near the front desk.

Below the pictures is a link to a video you will enjoy for sure, if you are a doll lover.

02smSnow White 03smalice in wonderland01smmuffie doll

And here is the link to a wonderful video that the Doll Curator, Ginni and her hubby Ron made of the exhibit from last year. It’s so well done. Ginni’s narration is really good, and clearly explains some of the history of the dolls in the exhibit and others.

The quality of the video itself and how it flows along with the narration just makes you want it to go on and on, at least that’s how it made me feel. So enjoy, if you feel inclined to leave a comment, I know they would love that. ;o)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience Romona and sounds like you got just as much from it as those who visited the exhibition. What a wonderful gift from that gentleman and how thoughtful of you to design a doll that will be named after his wife to honour her memory. You are a very wonderful person! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Ramona for your successful show. Will look forward to seeing your china doll completed

    ReplyDelete