Here we go again don’t we. Starting our Christmas projects. This one is for a customer, whose friends are celebrating their 50th Anniversary in December.
I’ve been working on this while I’m doing my demo days at the museum. People are enjoying watching how dolls comes together, one woman commented on how they are put together in layers. And that’s really the best way to describe how it works. Layer upon layer until you get to the end.
I hit a wall for a few hours trying to get her shoes the way they were meant to go. I wanted to do one thing, my muse was pulling in a different direction. She won, I tossed out what I was trying to do.
In these pictures you’ll see that I’ve done two layers of organza for under her skirt. The shoes are a red vinyl. I wanted black leather, muse wanted this. She was right because the black would have disappeared into the black leggings..
Her panties are made with a satin brocade with an Asian print. You can’t really see that, but there little red daisy shaped flowers on tendrils. Aren’t the boots fun. I had planned more of a fur top to them, but it wasn’t going to happen my way. Who says a 50th Anniversary means buttoned up and mature, let’s go with fun and a bit out there. ;o)
I had made a blouse using the pattern, but it didn’t fit and that was actually a blessing. It was white and just didn’t work, too white. I dug out this piece of cotton that has the tiniest little red flowers on it, drafted a new blouse pattern and now she’s dressed.
Although you can’t see them, she does have her lady parts on top. They are quite perky too. I had a piece of fabric at the ready in case someone came in with a small child, (which they did), to cover her up. Fortunately I was able to quickly sew her blouse and get it on her before they came in. ;o)
I gave her half lace sleeves and made the wrist ruffle much bigger and the same on the neck. The sleeves will be hidden in the coat, so no point making full ones on the blouse. The front is overlaid with lace and just for that little surprize thing, I stitched on a little green sparkle at the front. Nothing else is green, so that’s just one of those little, “oh” moments. Before finishing off the bottom edge of the blouse, I added a cream colour trim.
And this is where I left off yesterday. I do have a coat almost ready for her, just have to sew some seam binding around the inside edges. I’ve used the brocade on the inside for facings and I made a hood for the coat and used the brocade to line it.
The brocade, even though I zig zagged the edges, still wants to fray a tiny bit. To avoid a problem later on, I am going to cover the inside edges all around with black seam binding and that will fix it. And so, for now, she has her skirt on. This is a stretch velvet. For this little lady, I just have to give her some hair and glasses, make her some gloves and finish with putting it all together. Then onto the male. More pictures coming soon..