Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Freddie Depp

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Freddie Depp

I was a couple of days late, but finally got my Halloween challenge done for CDA in the Prim Studio. I named him Freddie Depp. He’s a cross between Fred Astaire and Johnny Depp in his role as the Mad Hatter. When we got the challenge the only thing that was required was to use the pumpkin in whatever way we chose. There were three sizes. I’ve used the smallest size and it worked well with the wire armature size I wanted to use.  

The first thing, and I have no idea why, when the challenge was posted I pictured a dancing pumpkin head Fred Astaire. And that is said with complete respect to the man. But the image came to mind, so I ran with it.

The whole doll except for the pumpkin head is my own design, including the costume. I found images on Google and just worked from there. The Mad Hatter came into it when I finished the face and more when I plopped the funky hair on his head. It’s that wild manic expression and fly away hair that is all things Mad Hatter. I made the hands to look like gloves and they are clay as are the shoes. The cane is made from findings in my stash. The hair is courtesy of the fabric department of our local Capital Iron. ( A general store).

The woman that works there is always on the lookout for fabrics for me so that when I come in, she’s quick to show me what’s new and what I might like. (that comes from being a frequent shopper and getting to know the people in your area). The benefits of shopping locally as much as possible, you’d be amazed at how accommodating they can be and do their best to help. I’m all about shopping locally whenever possible. Some things I can’t find and do shop online, but I will always check out the local businesses first. Without our small businesses, we’d be inundated with big box stores, something that just doesn’t compare to the small personalized shopping experience.

Freddie Depp is ready to dance the night away or get into a duel with those crazy card soldiers and I’m off to get my work done for the weekend.

DSC04179

DSC04183

DSC04181DSC04180DSC04185

3 comments:

  1. The gloves are fabulous. I wasn't sure what they were made of so I'm glad I came over to take a better look:) As someone who grew up in a family business...wholesale/retail fabric store...I completely agree with you about supporting small businesses.

    ReplyDelete