Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Rosie

Friday, March 9, 2012

Rosie

I decided to enter a challenge on Art Doll Quarterly. Anyone who knows me, knows that I think challenges are great. They give you the chance to experiment and learn on the fly how to do things and test yourself. It’s great taking classes and I love that to, but I also like to mix it up and challenge myself to learn things on my own to.

This is Rosie. The challenge is to make a knee hugger. You know those cute little dolls that you use for Christmas decorating. Like these ones. It didn’t matter what medium or style, but they have to be hugging their knees.

kneehuggers

When I first saw the challenge announced, I ran down to the basement where the Christmas stuff is stored and luckily knew which box had what in it or it could have been disastrous. I have one of these cute little guys so that was great to give me an idea of proportion.

My little Rosie is not what would be called a “pretty doll”, she is my little character loaded charmer. I sculpted her head and shoes with polymer clay. I poked holes in the flaps of the shoes so that when they were baked, I could then thread laces through. Her teeth are painted on. The teeth were so tiny I will have to practice making those.

Her pants are cotton, her sweater is a hairy bumpy yarn that I just wrapped around her body and arms rather than try to knit a little sweater at this late date. That worked well I think. She’s all decked out in a nice cosy sweater. I crocheted her little hat and ankle wraps. Her hands are made with wire, the trick I learned taking Cyndi Mahlstadt’s class and finally if she were standing, she would be 5” tall. So cute, the more I look at her, the cuter she gets…

Rosie’s picture has gone to the selection committee and if all goes well, she’ll be part of the group that’s chosen for the Autumn issue of the magazine. Long time to wait and wonder….sigh..!!!!!!! Here she is…

kneehugwebRK

No comments:

Post a Comment