Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Sweeping Beauty

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sweeping Beauty

While I was waiting to get to town to find some things to finish off my Snake Charmer, I decided to get working on another doll for the tea shop. I’ve been to town for the Snake Charmer bits, but decided that since I had this doll started, I might as well keep going.

This one is Cindee Moyer’s newest doll, Sweeping Beauty. I love how she turned out and I think Janet at the tea shop will to. She asked me to make something that is silvery white toned as she has a display of stainless steel and glass kettles and wants something to display with them.

I followed Cindee’s instructions with a bit of a twist to the hair. I did what she said regarding the wool and creating the knots, but then I tried something new. I didn’t know if it would work, but it has and I really love the look.

I mixed two colours of Angelina fibres, a non heat bondable silver with a crystal heat bondable. I applied it so that the silver was between layers of the crystal and in one section at a time, held it in place on her head and waved my heat gun back and forth VERY carefully until it grabbed onto the wool beneath it. Don’t ever hold the heat gun in place to do this or you will burn a hole in whatever you are doing.  I knew that already, so no disasters, but some of you may not have experience with heat guns. After I had covered all the flat areas, then I added it to the knots on the head. If formed a skullcap which is what I wanted. I added some extra glue around the edges of the face and finished it off with the rose trim.

The broom is a happy find, I love checking out the dollar store, there’s always something dolly related if you just expand your vision. I took apart a feather decoration and used one part of it. I beaded some wire with crystal type beads and wrapped it around the wire of the feather. I added the trims to the sleeves, waist and shoulder and all in all, I think she turned out really well, she looks very ethereal I think.

The hair done according to the pattern, but not completely finished  like the pattern.

sb2

Now it’s done with the Angelina Fibres and rose trim.

sb3

The beaded broom.

sb5

From the back, because someone will always check out the back.

sb4

And the full view. She’s off to her new home shortly….

sb6

No comments:

Post a Comment