Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Dahlias again

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Dahlias again

Here are the rest of the dahlias for this year. I hope you enjoy them. We used to grow about 100 plants every year. The driveway on both sides was covered with them. However, they are a lot of work when it comes to digging them up, cleaning them off and storing them, so over time we're down to about 15.

lwsmcactus

lwwaterlily

This one hasn't been named, so the tag reads #46. It's a great cutting dahlia, wonderful for bouquets.

number46

This dahlia was a surprize. It was supposed to be a dark burgundy cactus and ended up being a lovely big dinner plate dahlia. It's much like Ben Houston from yesterdays post, but this has rounded petals as opposed to the cactus type. This one is big also, about 12" across or slightly better.

orangedinnerplate

splishsplash

One of my favourites is Chat Noir (French for Black Cat). Appropriate since we have a black cat and several that visit every day. ;o) Below you can see how lovely they look next to a bright white dahlia.

chatnoir

burgwhite

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Romona:

    I just LOVE the dahlia pictures. Dahlia's have been my favorite flower since I was a little girl. I, too, found it time consuming to dig them up every year. However, when I did I was always amazed at how LARGE the bulbs had grown and how many more plants I would have the next year if I split them. Your pictures are wonderful. Have a great holiday weekend. Linda

    ReplyDelete