Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: A Crone named "Shelana"

Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Crone named "Shelana"

A while ago I posted that Julie McCullough was coming to do a workshop for us. I finally have my Crone finished and I think she's just so darn cute. Her name is Shelana. I took that from a movie with John Candy, The Great Outdoors. The scene near the beginning is with him and his onscreen wife doing some role playing where he calls her Shelana, goddess of the woods and he would be Bert. It was just such a funny moment, that the name he gave her, stuck with me.

Here she is. She is my Crone in training. She has her chain of responsibilities strung between her hands. Each time she accomplishes another lesson that will help her safe guard the forest, she receives another charm. She doesn't have a lot of bling because she's a Crone, they don't generally wear that, but I gave in and gave her some sparkly eyelashes. She was happy with that.

She has her cape to keep her warm, her bird friends like to walk around with her, so they rest on her arm and shoulder. He dress is embellished with vintage laces I found at the thrift store and the dress and vest are made with batiks that have a leafy pattern. There is beaded leafy fringe around the hem and more leaves sewn to the cape. She's all ready but now has to gain her years of experience. If you would like to see how the rest of the class made their Crones, please follow this link. Enjoy.

crone1

crone2

1 comment:

  1. Romona,
    She has a really gentle personality. I love the textures in the fabrics you've used - they work so well.

    ReplyDelete