Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Techniques

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Techniques

A while ago I asked my artsy group if they would be interested in doing some art techniques. They will be varied and on a mixed media basis. Since there was some interest in doing those, I got busy and started putting some techniques together. These are just simple projects to hopefully inspire them and motivate them to try other things that are out their comfort zone. This is the first one, the idea came from Cloth Paper Scissors magazine. All they had to do was make the paper beads and use them somehow. I gave them instructions for this little sticky note pad book. This is my sample using origami papers, beads and silk flowers. The spread out picture is showing some beadwork down the spine of the book and how the back looks.
The next technique I have given them was inspired by a class I did with Mai-Liis Peacock , at Joggles a couple of years ago, and from a newly published book in 2008, by Marie Browning called Creative Collage, Making Memories in Mixed Media. I have a big stash of doll making, general crafts and more as many creative souls do, but while I have it organized in boxes etc. I just thought there should be something more stimulating on the outside of the boxes to look at, than just felt pen words to say what's inside. SO, I put together these tags for them to try. They are all different and I just kept using different things I have, the focal point being the puzzle pieces shown in Marie's examples. The embellishments are mostly directed at doll making with the fibres and beads and the women images I used for the puzzle pieces. My group seems to have taken to them, so I'll be waiting to see the results...Here are my samples.

2 comments:

  1. love decorative tags, and the puzzle pieces are wonderful. Love Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some knick knacks for these today, Ro. Would you believe it?! I tried the stationery shop, Spotlight and the newsagency and can't find the card tags anywhere. They only had those plastic label types but not to worry because they will be easy enough to make. :)

    ReplyDelete