Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Northbrook Designs: Quilt

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Quilt

I had to take a break from my dolls for a few days, I have so many things in my line of fire I was getting to frustrated trying to work on one and not the other. So I put them all off to the side and said nuts to it. I'll just do something totally different for a few days and get some perspective back for the dolls.
I was over on Saltspring Island last Saturday and picked up some beautiful fabric for a quilt I've been wanting to do for ages. I wanted a quilt for the living room instead of the crocheted blanket. You know those things, the kind where you put them over you but if they're done with a granny square pattern, your toes pop through the holes in the pattern and never get warm and cozy. This is going to take care of that. Here is the fabric I picked out. I did substitute one of the green fabrics (the one that is green with gold in the stack to the left of the picture). The one I substituted is also green gold, but it's a leaf design and a softer look, more fitting with how the top has turned out. You can see that leafy fabric in the stack to the right. I spent all week, cutting and piling up each part of the quilt into sections, sewing strips, cutting again and piling up again in sections.








Don't those fabrics look yummy. I thought it looked like a bright beautiful sunset through a forest. The strips on top of the sewn pieces are going to border the quilt on the outside edges, and if you look at the pattern in the first picture, where you see the black is the other place where the teal/orange strips will go.
So now my quilt top is sewn and I just dropped it off at the quilt shop in Sidney, where my friend Andrea is going to put it on her quilting frame and do the quilting part of it. She had this great backing fabric which goes with it so well. I don't have the room or the patience to try and do the quilting by hand or heaven forbid, on my sewing machine. She can stretch it on the frame and sew a pattern all over to finish that part. I told her that I thought the orange parts look like a sunset, the greens are like a forest and the pattern we decided on is a crescent which when you look at it, reminds me a when you drop a pebble in the water and the water ripples outwards....It should look fantastic. I will finish the edges with a running stitch and it'll be done and ready to wrap up in. It'll be a couple of weeks before she can get it back to me, so I'll post a picture when it's all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment